Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Oh, the possibilities!

As you've probably noticed, recently I've been quite intrigued by the virtual world Second Life. I've wandered through haunted houses and haunted mazes (and won L$300, thank you very much). I've attended a women's support group. I attended a major Sun Microsystems presentation. I've taken a virtual trip to all the planets (and almost-planets) in our solar system!

Needless to say, I'm amazed by the possibilities and opportunity SL provides.
  • Education: Streaming video and assignments. Large lecture halls for live classes (Harvard's Berkman Island). Smaller conference rooms available for group meetings (San Diego State - Meadowbrook 205, 30, 24). Replicas of on-campus buildings with rooms students can use for pretty much anything (Northern Illinois University, Glidden 88, 166, 30).
  • Advertising: Sun Microsystems yesterday had a presentation and Q&A session with their chief gaming officer Chris Melissinos for a group of about at least 35 of us (Millions of Us 224, 26, 40). Adidas and Toyota have made their products available to test drive (and wear) in-world, hoping that SL residents will make a similar purchase in RL (real life). (Link: Intellagirl's coverage of the Scion launch party.)
  • Psychology/Sociology/Self-Help: Several support groups have started having regularly scheduled meetings in SL. Recently, I sat in on a women's support group where participants talked about what was going on, sympathized with others, and gave advice. Silent Witness has a display this month on information about Domestic Violence Awareness month. (Theta 54, 55)
So, it's not all entertainment in-world. I'm trying to kind of be an unofficial SL photographer. My goal is to go in and experience as much as I can and post pictures about it. So, below are some of my snaps.

Women's Support Group


An Authentic SL Pagoda


Streaming Video and Assignments
Harvard's Berkman Island



Sun Microsystem Presentation


Recent Live Concert


No comments: