Tuesday, October 31, 2006

My First Virtual Wedding

As luck would have it, during my lunch break today, after reading on the SLED mailing list about rituals in SL such as weddings and funerals, I found a listing on the Events page for "Slick and Samira's Wedding Day!" I decided to experience a virtual wedding in all its glory.

Well, I have to admit, I had a hard time taking the whole ceremony seriously. (However, all of the participants in the wedding, including the scantily clad bridesmaids, seemed to be taking it all completely seriously. Which is good for them.) I'm sure it meant a lot to these people. It was just strange to me.

Anyway, apparently there are weddings going on all the time inworld. People who are good friends "commit" to each other virtually. Sometimes, SL romance leaks into RL. Sometimes RL married couples renew their vows inworld. It's all very interesting

Erin and her fiance have experience in another online virtual world, World of Warcraft. She recently told me about how a group of players held an actual inworld memorial for a fellow player who had died in real life. (Unfortunately, the player who had passed away had also belonged to another more violent "guild", and those more rowdy players decided to as a group crash the memorial -- as they thought their friend would have wanted -- and kill all the other players, which sparked a pretty big controversy.) Interesting story, definitely.

1 comment:

\m/ Lizzie \m/ said...

thats cool! her wedding gown is pretty :D OOOH yeah i remember hearing about that in WoW..ive seen the video of them crashing it. sad...anyhoo what server and faction does she play on?