Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Back to reality

Labor Day weekend was spent tearing myself away from the news, instead spending time with family out in good ol' west Texas. We got back home last night from the 5.5-hour trip, and news seems to be getting a little better. While the DFW area is taking in several thousands of folks from the affected areas, San Angelo is also doing its part, taking in 1,000 refugees.

Roy calls me a "junkie" when he finds me reading news reports and sneaking a peak at CNN. I don't know what it is about events like this -- morbid curiosity? -- but I find myself almost obsessed with what's going on. September 11 was bad with the visual overload of every single tv channel showing what happened. Now, we have streaming video from WFAA's website of the New Orleans tv station (which is now broadcasting out of Baton Rouge). Instant "breaking news" emails informing us of the latest updates. Video clips accessible anytime if you need a bite-size helping of tragedy.

So, the levies are being fixed. The water is being pumped out. And we wait for the numbers, a feeling that must be something like waiting to be punched in the gut.

No comments: