Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Ack! Stats!

Greetings all. Well, classes started last night, and I am reminded how while finding these classes interesting, I tend to leave with a slight headache (aka "brain drain"). Which is a good thing, I know. Summer classes are nice, though -- this class only has five students, so there will be a lot of interactivity, plus our projects will be customized to our area of interest. The class deals with research and statistics.

I have a feeling I'm really going to have to catch up when it comes to stats -- I'm the only one in our group who has never had any stats training in undergrad. I know what the general meaning of "standard deviation" is, but we're talking "effect size" and comparing comparisons and all that. All I have to say is ...

Thank goodness my hubby's a geek. I know, dear -- you have never bitten the head of a live chicken. (If you're wondering what in the word I'm referring to, check this out.)

I went straight home and Roy explained it to me. It took a couple of times, but I now understand it. So, I march on into my semester, prepared to research topics I don't understand, read in-depth journal articles, and do my own research projects. Wish me luck. Please.

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes...
B'cause I'm Mr. Brightside.

No comments: