Monday, May 23, 2005

"Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed." -Neil Armstrong

Greetings all. I have a few minutes during my lunch break. I figured I'd post about my weekend at NASA. (Notice I'm no longer a dirty, rotten blogger.)

While our Friday was long, tiring, and filled with sixth, seventh, and eighth graders, Roy and I really enjoyed the Johnson Space Center. We took the historic Mission Control tour, where we listened to them speak about how Man will be back on the moon in the next seven years, and we visited the Rocket Park. We had such a good time that Roy and I are planning on going back some time later this year or next maybe to take the "Level 9" tour, which gives a more in depth tour of the "campus".

It was interesting listening to them speak about the future of space flight. They discussed that we will actually build a station on the moon, which eventually will become a refueling station for flights to Mars. They also discussed that with current technology, a flight to Mars would take (I believe they said) nine months. With the new plasma technology, the rockets of the not-too-distant future will only take 10 days. Just amazing stuff.

So, I now have my souvenir JSC shot glass and a magnet for our refrigerator. I'm ready to go back!

No comments: